Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Lenten episodes, part 1 - Breaking up, while hard to do, is sad and sometimes necessary

I have started riding my bike again, so the Bikeless Chronicles are on hold until next winter.

However, Lent got off to a wacky start, so I'll blog about those dramas instead of my bikeless transit woes.

So far this Lent, I have witnessed three break-ups.

1. Ash Wednesday

On Mardi Gras I went to see Devotchka in concert, and it was excellent, of course. I got to bed at around midnight. Then Dear Husband's phone rang at 2:00 A.M. It was a request for him to go over to A's house because she had just broken up with her boyfriend, and he went psycho, showing up on her doorstep completely plastered at 1:00 A.M. She was home alone because her roommate was out helping another friend who had had a roofie slipped into her drink.

I know, right? Crazy!

So my husband went over at 2:00 A.M., as the cops were leading the psycho ex away in handcuffs.

The husband came home a few hours later to wash the cat allergens off of him, and then he got another call. The dude got out of the drunk tank and showed up at A's house again. The husband went over to sneak her out of the back door and drive her to work. Later that day, she filed a restraining order against the ex.

2. Long-distance

One of my best friends is going through a generally amicable break-up with a really good guy an ocean away. Although they are each really good people, they're not good for each other in a boyfriend/girlfriend-type relationship right now, and that's okay.

3. Out of left field, and yet not

A few short months ago, M started dating J. J was a self-proclaimed man-ho. While they were best friends for a good three years, we all had a feeling that when they started dating, an ugly break-up would be a big looming possibility.

Surprisingly, J broke up with M, not because of some man-ho ways, but because he was in a depression rut and pushed everyone away, including his three years' best friend and three months' girlfriend, M.

Now, I know that the depressed mind isn't exactly rational, but, man, you don't sever ties with a major part of your support network when you need it the most!

A few of us went over to M's house to keep her company and bring her consolation food. I brought over some meyer lemon bars, sourdough bread, and tallegio stinky cheese.

Stinky cheese is the best glue to mend a broken heart, of course.

There is more to this story, but I'll get to that later.

* * *


I like my lack of relationship drama. I really like being able to be myself with my husband, and I like that he can be also be himself with me. While it may be difficult to watch my friends' decisions play themselves out in non-ideal ways, they are still my friends, and I care for them very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment